Faculty of Architecture, University of Ljubljana
|Fakulteta za arhitekturo, Univerza v Ljubljani|
|Zoisova 12, SI-1000 Ljubljana|
|Phone||386 (0) 1 200 0721, 386 (0) 1 200 0762|
|Fax||386 (0) 1 425 7414|
|Founded by||University of Ljubljana|
|Peter Gabrijelčič, Dean|
|Phone||386 (0) 1 200 0714|
- Virtual Museum of European Transhumance, 2006
- 17 January to 8 February 2014
The Links, an exhibition of unique wood designs by OLoOP Design, (Studio Drevo), , , , and, , as well as the students of the Faculty of Architecture, University of Ljubljana and Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Ljubljana, at in , programme and (Handmade in Moste),
- 13 January to 23 January 2014
The exhibition X – Territorial: Slovenian Embassy in Israel - Israeli Embassy in Slovenia, featuring architectural designs for both embassies, made in cooperation with the Faculty of Architecture, University of Ljubljana, supported by the Embassy of the Republic of Slovenia Tel Aviv, at Ministry of Foreign Affairs in , programme
- 11 April to 25 April 2013
An exhibition of innovative architectural projects by programme (Faculty of Architecture, University of Ljubljana) and Marco Venturi at in ,
In the academic year 2007/08 the Faculty of Architecture introduced new Bachelors and Master courses based on the Bologna declaration. The new doctoral programme in architecture started in 2009/10. The faculty employs more than 50 university teachers and associates; some of the younger teachers have completed postgraduate studies abroad. Intensive international exchange of students has also been introduced. Each academic year two foreign teachers work at the faculty as visiting professors. Graduates of the faculty are experts who are able to adjust to changing conditions and various tasks, including design of objects and interiors, projecting of buildings and planning of large town units, landscape architecture, and regional planning.
Single masters study programme Architecture
The single masters study programme Architecture takes 5 years (10 semesters) and amounts to 300 credit points. The study programme includes elective modules A and B. The basic goal is to train experts for responsible tasks concerning architectural design and planning, as well as spatial management. The professional title bestowed on the graduate is "Master engineer of architecture (mag. eng. arch.)".
Doctoral study programme in Architecture
The doctoral study programme in Architecture lasts 3 years (6 semesters) and is comprised of a total 180 ECTS–credits. The study programme includes 60 ECTS–credits in organised study form, and 120 ECTS–credits of individual research work. The programme trains the independent scientific researcher in the widest problem area of architectural issues, demonstrating responsibility towards the cultural region and excellence at an international level. The scientific title acquired by doctoral students in the field of architecture is Doctor of Science (Dr).
Facilities include a study centre, a library, a model workshop, and numerous student workplaces. A specialised library offers 22,000 titles with a great selection of recent books on architecture, construction, planning, design, art, and related themes, and an extensive collection of contemporary international magazines. Since 2009 the Light Laboratory has been operating in the basement of the new building of the Faculty of Architecture. This important contribution has offered the opportunity to explore the phenomenon of light in an isolated laboratory space, and to create different ambient lighting conditions, and then implementing them in architecture and planning.
The Faculty of Architecture originated in 1919 as the Department of Architecture, at first as a two–year course, that later evolved into a four–year study. In its current formation the study of architecture was established in 1957 as the constituent part of the University of Ljubljana – in the post-war period the Department of Architecture was for many years part of the Faculty of Architecture, Civil Engineering and Geodesy, with the exception of a short period between 1950–1954 when it was independent within the framework of the Technical Faculties. At the outset, the school's artistic orientation was determined in the Middle European tradition and personified by Schinkel, Semper, and Wagner. and were successors to this tradition, followed from the 1950s to the 1980s by Professors and .
The separate Faculty of Architecture was established in 1995 due to high interest, very efficient studies, and an unusually wide range of areas in which architecture graduates can work successfully. The number of degrees that had been awarded by the faculty up to the year 2000 was close to 3,000. It currently turns out some 100 students every year. Developments in computer science, psychology, and production organisation are now enabling the expansion of activities to new architectural areas.
From 2005–2008 the project ALPTER outlined the problem of the abandonment of terraced agricultural areas in the alpine region. Co-financed in the framework of the EU programme Interreg Alpine Space, the initiative was developed in partnership with numerous institutions and associations coming from different sectors which share a common interest in terracements.
In 2009 the Faculty of Architecture joined the international network of European architectural faculties for the South Africa Ithuba Project – in 2010 a group of students under professional guidance will build a school in Johannesburg, the Republic of South Africa.
In 2011 the faculty will host the international conference eCAADe (Education and Research in Computer Aided Architectural Design in Europe), accompanied by a workshop. The main topics of the conference are the recognition, development, and encouragement of virtual space.
The Faculty of Architecture is also a member of the Erasmus exchange programme for European students, connecting youth from all over Europe, exchanging knowledge, skills, and forming new connections.
Different student groups operate under the Faculty of Architecture. The Student Council members are legal representatives of views and interests of all students and the faculty of the University in Ljubljana. The ŠOFA is part of the Student Organisation of the University of Ljubljana, operating at the Faculty of Architecture; its student members are entitled to financial resources to help arrange a wide scope of extra–curricular activities.
The Slovenian National Committee of the non–profit organisation EASA (European Architecture Student Assembly) also operates at the Faculty, organising several international workshops and meetings. In addition, two-week camps (organised by students of architecture for students of architecture) take place each summer in a different country at the partner faculties abroad.
- Faculty of Architecture Library, University of Ljubljana
- Magazine AR Architecture, Research
- South Africa Ithuba Project
- Faculty of Architecture, University of Ljubljana website (in Slovenian and some English)
- Graduate and postgraduate programmes (pdf in English, also available in Slovenian)
- Doctoral study programme (pdf in English, also available in Slovenian)
International projects and networks