From 1976 until 2005 the Velenje Gallery was organised as as part of the former Ivan Napotnik Cultural Centre. It is situated in a modernist building designed in 1971 by Adi Miklavc, which stands in daring contrast to adjacent buildings in the square which are just one decade older. In 2015 the building was thoroughly renovated.
Velenje Gallery's permanent collection comprises around 1000 paintings, sculptures and works on paper (prints, drawings, photography) by Slovene artists of the 20th century, with a particular focus on the youngest artists, especially those from the Šaleška and Savinjska valleys.
Beside solo exhibitions of the younger generation of local artists, the Velenje Gallery also features solo exhibitions of established Slovene artists like Metka Krašovec.
The Velenje Gallery hosted the annual exhibition by the Slovene Fine Art Critics Association (DSLK) and the exhibition of the annual Velenje Artists' Colony for ALUO graduates. The gallery also cooperates with students of the local grammar school.
A retrospective exhibition The Visual Arts of the Šaleška Valley and Upper Sava Valley 1975–2015, curated by Milena Koren Božiček opened the fully renovated gallery premises in September 2015. It featured selected works by 65 artists; for this occasion new works were acquired from local artists's personal collections.