Technical Museum of Slovenia

From Culture.si

Jump to:navigation, search
Contact info
URIs of the form "+386 / 1 251 5407, 386 / 40 500 791" are not allowed.
URIs of the form "+386 / 1 251 5400, 386 / 31 336 823" are not allowed.
Tehniški muzej Slovenije (TMS)
http://www.tms.si
info@tms.si
Bistra 6, SI-1353 Borovnica
Phone386 (0) 1 750 6670
Fax386 (0) 1 750 6676
INSERT INTO subject ({{#var:get|sqlFields}}) VALUES ({{#var:get|sqlValues}});
RegionSI-1
Founded byGovernment of the Republic of Slovenia
Office
Tržaška cesta 2, SI-1000 Ljubljana
Phone386 (0) 1 436 16 06
INSERT INTO subject ({{#var:get|sqlFields}}) VALUES ({{#var:get|sqlValues}});
Natalija Polenec, Director
natalija.polenec@tms.si
Phone386 (0) 1 251 5407, 386 (0) 40 500 791
INSERT INTO subject ({{#var:get|sqlFields}}) VALUES ({{#var:get|sqlValues}});
Urša Vodopivec, Public Relations
ursa.vodopivec@tms.si
Phone386 (0) 1 251 5400, 386 (0) 31 336 823
INSERT INTO subject ({{#var:get|sqlFields}}) VALUES ({{#var:get|sqlValues}});
Online accounts:
twitter  facebook  


Past Events
  • 15 April to 15 June 2015
    An exhibition on the life and work of Janez Puhar, the inventor of the photographic plate, organised by Technical Museum of Slovenia, supported by the Embassy of the Republic of Slovenia Bratislava, at Museum of Transport in Bratislava, Slovakia programme
  • 29 June to 9 October 2013
    The exhibition The Man Who Propelled Vessels - Josef Ressel, co-organised by the Technical Museum of Slovenia in Chrudim, Czech Republic programme
  • 14 December 2012 to 31 January 2013
    The Technical Museum of Slovenia one of the organisers of the EU project Central European Science Adventure at Technical Museum in Brno, Czech Republic programme
  • 13 December 2012 to 31 January 2013
    The exhibition Jurij Georg Vega, co-organised by the Technical Museum of Slovenia, at Maritime and History Museum of the Croatian Littoral in Rijeka, Croatia programme
  • 15 December 2011 to 31 January 2012
    The Flying Man, Stanko Bloudek exhibition organised by Technical Museum of Slovenia at The Maritime and History Museum of the Croatian Littoral in Rijeka, Croatia programme
  • 21 September to 30 September 2011
    The Flying Man, Stanko Bloudek exhibition organised by Technical Museum of Slovenia at Slovenski dom in Zagreb, Croatia programme
  • 15 October to 5 December 2010
    Exhibition The Man Who Propelled Vessels on Josef Ressel by Technical Museum of Slovenia at Muzeum Inżynierii Miejskiej in Krakow, Poland programme


Technical Museum of Slovenia collection.JPG

The Technical Museum of Slovenia was founded by the Government of the Republic of Slovenia in 1951 on the initiative of Ciril Rekar and the Association of Engineers and Technicians. The main aim of the Technical Museum of Slovenia is to research, collect and present Slovenia's technical heritage to the public, and to protect historically important technical buildings, installations and machines. The museum regularly joins the Museums on a Summer Night project.

History

The Technical Museum was established within the buildings of the former Bistra Carthusian Monastery, which had been managed since 1947 by the Forestry Institute of Slovenia and already used to house the institute's museum collections. Consequently when it opened in 1951 the Technical Museum of Slovenia focused on the institute's forestry, woodworking and hunting collections. During its long history the museum has managed a number of collections which have since become independent institutions, including Kropa Iron Forging Museum, the Koroška Regional Museum, Ravne na Koroškem Unit, Idrija Municipal Museum and the Coal Mining Museum of Slovenia in Velenje.


Technical Museum of Slovenia 2010 02.JPG

Collections

Today the Technical Museum incorporates numerous departments. The Forestry and Woodworking Department originated as the Forestry Institute Collection and is displayed in a 300-square-metre exhibition area. The Hunting Museum Collection also originated in 1947 and now occupies a 700-square-metre exhibition area equipped with computer-supported multimedia as well as film and sound recordings. The Fishing Department, opened in 1982, incorporates an ecology section.

The Transportation Department occupies the largest exhibition area of about 2,500 square metres, and includes Slovene road vehicles (the oldest from the pre-war period), a collection of prestigious presidential limousines, a collection of automobiles on long-term loan from the German Technical Museum in Berlin and Slovene motorcycles from the Tomos of Koper Collection.

The Textile Department presents the history of spinning and weaving and the machine production of fabrics and organises workshops in weaving, sewing, and painting on silk and cotton.

The Department of Agricultural Machinery Collection, housed in a 1,500-square-metre outbuilding, includes a wheelwright's workshop, a farrier's workshop, and an exhibition on the history of the mill. Demonstrations of smithing, corn grinding in the mill, and bread baking are regularly organised here. The collection of the Electric Machinery Department is displayed in three rooms with an exhibition area of about 370 square metres and presents the history of electrification in Slovenia.

The permanent exhibition The Written Word: History of printing in Slovenia (opened in 2006) displays the history of printing, paper, printing inks, letterpress, book binding, office printing. Demonstrations include type casting, setting by hand, machine set, hand printing by printing machine, illustration printing by plate and book stitching.

Technical Museum of Slovenia 2006 permanent exhibition.jpg

International cooperation

In 2009 Technical Museum of Slovenia launched the project "Central European Science Adventure – CESA" project and cooperated with five technical museums in the region: Vienna Technical Museum (Austria), Hungarian Museum of Science, Technology and Transport in Budapest, Technical Museum in Brno (Czech Republic), Slovak Technical Museum in Košice and City Engineering Museum in Krakow (Poland). The project re-evaluated and presented interesting inventions and discoveries, as well as renowned and unknown scientists and inventors in the field of physics, chemistry, biology, mathematics, mountain science, construction, etc. The touring exhibition resulted also in the web lexicon accessible on the project website.

"A Taste of Europe" was a multi-annual project conceived by the Museum of Work in Norrköping, Sweden, to foster intercultural dialogue about food production and everyday consumption in the light of national differences and similarities, changes over time, climate and environmental issues. Each of the nine invited museums selected one food product that is of special national importance. Thus the Technical Museum of Slovenia presented honey (the reputation of Slovene beekeeping became known as early as 1689 via Janez Vajkard Valvasor!), while other museums featured milk (Sweden), wheat (Museum of Hungarian Agriculture in Budapest), pork (Worker's Museum in Copenhagen, Denmark), beer (National Museum of Agriculture in Prague, Czech Republic), the potato (Estonian National Museum in Tartu), bread (Finnish Labour Museum Werstas in Tampere), fish (Scottish Fisheries Museum in Anstruther, Fife) and olive oil (Museum of Portimão, Portugal). Nine exhibition variations were accompanied with interesting texts, available online.

Since September 2013 the Technical Museum of Slovenia with museum partners from Sweden, Poland, Finland, Belgium and Germany has been participating in the two-year project Work With Sounds, recording disappearing or "endangered" sounds of industrial society.

The projects have been supported by the EU Culture Programme.

Branches

The museum manages various satellites, including Bogenšperk Castle, Pantz Forester's Gravity Cableway, the Museum of Post and Telecommunications, and the Soteska Depot of Vehicles.

See also

External links

Gallery

Facebook Twitter
Collections
Editorial
Lists
Opportunities
Resources
Nerd files
Feeling Wiki?
Tools