Architectural Gallery DESSA
|Židovska steza 4, SI-1000 Ljubljana|
|Phone||386 (0) 1 251 6010|
|Fax||386 (0) 1 251 4074|
|Managed by||DESSA Architecture Centre|
|Maja Ivanič, Director|
- 28 November to 6 December 2014
Architecture = 5 Years of Slovene Architecture, a round table discussion and exhibition opening, organised in cooperation with the Architects' Society of Ljubljana (DAL), Architects' Bulletin (ab), Architectural Gallery DESSA, and Hiša arhitekture Maribor and supported by the Embassy of the Republic of Slovenia Rome, at in ,
- 13 June to 11 July 2013
Five Years of Slovene Architecture - ARCHITECTURE= exhibition and screenings of Small and Smart: Expressions of Contemporary Slovenian Architecture in Films by the Museum of Architecture and Design, organised in cooperation with Architects' Bulletin (ab) (Architects' Society of Ljubljana (DAL)), Architectural Gallery DESSA, RAZ:UM and House of Architecture Maribor and with the support of the Embassy of the Republic of Slovenia Tel Aviv, at in ,
After DESSA Architecture Centre was founded in 1982, its members soon wished for their own exhibition space. They invited the internationally renowned architect who drew the first plans for the gallery space in 1987. The place follows the principles of Gottfried Semper, and is composed of four rooms, each devoted to a different building material – stone for the gallery, wood for the library, plastic for the office, and textile for the meeting room. All items except the chairs were made especially for DESSA; chairs designed by in the 1950s were donated by the manufacturer Stol Kamnik. The corporate identity of the gallery was designed by .
The opening of the Architectural Gallery DESSA was celebrated in 1989 with the exhibition of the Prešeren Award winners. Recognition of DESSA Gallery was soon gained through articles in international magazines, which were published mostly with the help of Podrecca.
History of the building
The location where the DESSA gallery and office complex stands today was once the site of a synagogue. After a fire destroyed it in 1213, it was rebuilt on a larger scale. In the 16th century Cesar Maximilian deported Jews from the Carniola region and converted the synagogue to a Catholic chapel, which was demolished in the 19th century.
The current building at Židovska steza 4 in Ljubljana's city centre was built before the Ljubljana earthquake in 1895 and has since then served for several functions. In the 1930s it housed a restaurant, after the Second World War it became a music school and later a craftsmen's workshop.
- dimensions: 34m² (7.5m x 4.5m x 3.3m H) incorporating 13 linear metres of wall space
- installation system: glass panels (11 glass panels 1m x 1.8m and 6 glass panels 0.33m x 1.8m)
- lighting: halogen lighting system
- climate control: none
- sales policy: sales not permitted
- security: security system installed