Kos Manor House
|Kosova graščina, Jesenice|
|Cesta maršala Tita 64, SI-4270 Jesenice|
|Phone||386 (0) 4 583 2061|
|Managed by||Upper Sava Valley Museum, Jesenice|
|Irena Lačen Benedičič, Director|
|Aljaž Pogačnik, Curator|
The house was later named after one of its owners, merchantfrom Jesenice, who enlarged and renovated it in the neoclassical style in 1821. It was later purchased by the Ruards, ironworks owners and industrialists, and after 1872 by the KID (Kranjska Industrial Society) to provide housing for its executives. Ten years later the manor, its outbuilding, and its garden were purchased by the Municipality of Jesenice and the building was used as a primary school for 30 years. Before the Second World War the house became a court and prison and during the occupation the Germans used it as a transition prison.
Following the renovation of the building in 1985, today’s three-storey building houses a permanent exhibition of recent history, a reconstruction of a Gestapo prison, a gallery for temporary exhibitions on the ground floor, a multi-purpose room for cultural events and a wedding hall on the second floor. The Jože Bedič’s Geological and Paleontological Collection is also on display.