Category:Monuments and sites

From Culture.si

Jump to:navigation, search

Franja Partisan Hospital

Franja Partisan Hospital 2015 barracs.jpg

The Franja Partisan Hospital at Dolenji Novaki near Cerkno is a cluster of functionally-arranged Partisan hospital facilities located in the narrow, barely accessible Pasice Gorge, which is itself a natural attraction. The hospital complex comprises 14 wooden buildings and several small auxiliary facilities which were gradually set up in the period from December 1943 to May 1945.

The hospital was among the best-equipped of clandestine partisan hospitals, with an operating room, an X-ray apparatus, a care facility for the disabled, and a small electric plant. Most of the equipment was preserved in situ till the flood in 2007. A complete renovation was finished in May 2010. The hospital is administered by Idrija Municipal Museum.

Franja has received a renowned award presented by the Committee for European Heritage, the European Heritage Label (out of 36 proposed European sites the 16 were selected), and is also on a Tentative List of the candidates for a UNESCO World Heritage List.

Pleterje Charterhouse Monastery

Pleterje Charterhouse - 02.JPG

Pleterje Charterhouse Monastery is the only still-inhabited Carthusian monastery in Slovenia. Known officially in Latin as Thronus Sanctissimae Trinitatis a community of white monks of the strictest contemplative order in the Roman Catholic church are living secluded, behind walls in silence, work and prayer. The monastery has two parts, a Clausura where only monks, apprentices and lay monastery help are allowed, and a public part with the Gothic church of St. Trinity, built in 1407 in simple style, but with a so called "long choir", big Gothic windows, a fish bladder, and quatrefoil ornament and Parlerian elements in the interior as console masks and flower keystones. In the middle of the nave stands a Rood screen that used to divide lay monks from choir monks and in the walls clay vessels have been built to give the space a special resonance for choirs. From the Gothic-style buildings only the church, part of the cloister and sacristy have remained, the monastery's other buildings were erected in the beginning of the 20th century.





Pages in category "Monuments and sites"

The following 138 pages are in this category, out of 138 total.

A

B

Č

C

D

F

G

H

I

J

K

K cont.

L

M

N

O

P

P cont.

R

Š

S

T

U

V

W

Z

Ž

Media in category "Monuments and sites"

The following 178 files are in this category, out of 178 total.

Facebook Twitter
Collections
Editorial
Lists
Opportunities
Resources
Nerd files
Feeling Wiki?
Tools