Forma Viva Open Air Wood Sculpture Collection, Kostanjevica na Krki
|Forma Viva Kostanjevica|
|Grajska cesta 45, SI-8311 Kostanjevica na Krki|
|Phone||386 (0) 7 498 7008, 386 (0) 7 498 8140, 386 (0) 7 498 8150|
|Fax||386 (0) 7 498 8151|
|Managed by||Božidar Jakac Art Museum, Kostanjevica na Krki|
After visiting the open-air sculptors symposium in St Margharethen (Austria, 1959), a pair of Slovene sculptors decided to establish a similar enterprise in Slovenia. They choose two sites for the symposium to take place at simultaneously, one of them being in Portorož and the other in Kostanjevica. For each of them a defining material was selected with regards to the local context. With the vast forests surrounding the site in Kostanjevica, oak wood was an obvious choice and one with which they've persisted up to this day.
Initially the Kostanjevica symposium took place on an annual basis, with about a dozen artists invited from all over the world. After 1967 the event became a biannual project and continued as such up until 1988 when it ran into financial difficulties. Nevertheless, the symposium got rekindled in 1998. Since then it is once again happening more or less biannually, inviting 3 sculptors for each edition. This endeavour – as well as the necessary and complex maintenance of the collection – is taken care by the Božidar Jakac Art Museum.
In the most recent editions, the following artists participated:(SI), Sreten Milatović (RS), and Niculae Seaptefrati (RO) in 2004; Magdalena Miočinović Andrić (RS), (SI) and Agnessa Ivanova Petrova (BG) in 2006; (SI), Klaus Grosskopf (DE) and (SI/DE) in 2008; Reinhold Neururer (AT), Karen Macher Nesta (PE) and Denis Krašković (HR) in 2011; and Donald Buglass (NZ), Liliya Pobornikova (BG) and (SI) in 2013.
The entire list of participants is accessible on the website of the Božidar Jakac Art Museum, the organiser of the event.
- Forma Viva Collection
- Božidar Jakac Art Museum, Kostanjevica na Krki
- Kostanjevica Monastery
- Forma Viva Open Air Sculpture Collection, Maribor
- Forma Viva Open Air Steel Sculpture Collection, Ravne na Koroškem
- Forma Viva Open Air Stone Sculpture Collection, Portorož
- Forma Viva Open Air Wood Sculpture Collection in Kostanjevica na Krki website (in Slovenian)
- Short presentations of all Forma Viva Kostanjevica na Krki participants (in Slovenian)
- An extensive research piece on the history of the Kostanjevica na Krki Forma Viva (in Slovenian)
- Institutional history of Forma Viva (in Slovenian)