Povoden Museum, Ptuj

From Culture.si

Jump to:navigation, search


Contact info
Povodnov muzej, Ptuj
http://pmpo.si/
uprava@pmpo.si
Slovenski trg, SI-2250 Ptuj
Phone386 (0) 2 787 9230
Fax386 (0) 2 787 9245
RegionSI-2
Managed byPtuj – Ormož Regional Museum
Aleksander Lorenčič, Director
aleksander.lorencic@pmpo.si






The collection of the Povoden Museum in Ptuj was founded in 1830 by Simon Povoden (1753–1841), a Ptuj-based historiographer who determined that collected classical stone memorials should be built into the inner walls of the municipal tower. Povoden Museum is a branch museum of the Ptuj – Ormož Regional Museum.

The square Slovenski trg in the centre of Ptuj is the scene of an open air lapidary collection, the oldest in Slovenia. The collection consists of pieces of civil and military tombstones, urns, sacrificial altars, relief votive slabs and ashlars. The northern wall of the tower contains, among others, the military tombstone of Gaius Rufius, a soldier of the Legio XIII Gemina, and that of Gaius Cornelius Verus, a veteran of the Legio II Adiutrix. Six memorials were built into the southern wall of the tower. Among them are a sacrificial altar, dedicated to Jupiter and decorated at the top with a Norican-Pannonian volute, and the tombstone of Marcus Ulpius Cutius and his family. The lapidary features also the Orpheus Monument, the largest tombstone ever found in the Roman province of Upper Pannonia.

See also

External links

Facebook Twitter
Collections
Editorial
Lists
Opportunities
Resources
Nerd files
Feeling Wiki?
Tools