The castle is first mentioned in the records in 1192 as a property of the Hungarian noble family Bánffy and was theirs until the middle of the 17th century, when it fell to the Nádasdy family for a short period, and in the 18th century came under the management of the Eszterházy family. Today it is a massive two-storey building with a mansard roof overlooking the town of Lendava-Lendva. The walls are supported by massive buttresses and the south-west façade is emphasised with a central tower.
Museum displays and exhibitions
The archaeological exhibition Oloris presents the late Bronze Age settlement Dolnji Lakoš pri Lendavi. The historical exhibition The Castle Lies in Wait [Grad na preži] informs us about the Turks' invasions of the territory and presents the replicas of weapons and equipments of soldiers at that time. The numismatic exhibition, donated by the National Museum in Budapest, presents the development of Hungarian currency.
There is a smaller lapidary arranged in the hall, of the leftovers of the castle walls and three Baroque sculptures from Lendava neighbourhood. The oldest exhibit is a fragment of the castle walls dating in 1675, the most interesting but are the Baroque statue of John the Baptist and of St. Anne with Mary from the Lendava hills.
The castle also hosts temporary exhibitions, as well as restoration workshops, which take place yearly under the supervision of the National Museum, Budapest, in order to restore as many museum items as possible in ten days.
- Lendava-Lendva Gallery and Museum
- Lendava-Lendva International Fine Arts Colony
- LindArt International Young Artists’ Fine Arts Colony
- Short historz of the castle on the Lendava-Lendva Gallery and Museum website
- György Zala on Wikipedia