|Mestni trg 4, SI-5220 Tolmin|
|Phone||386 (0) 5 381 1360|
|Fax||386 (0) 5 381 1361|
|Founded by||Municipality of Tolmin|
|Damjana Fortunat Černilogar, Director|
- 17 January to 9 March 2018
An exhibition about the Javorca Memorial Church of the Holy Spirit curated by
programme (Tolmin Museum), at in ,
- 21 January 2018
The exhibition The stamp of Keltic horses' hoofs curated by Goriška Museum), where the findings from the Bizjak's Homestead in Kobarid and from the Kamenjača in Breza next to Sarajevo are featured together, at in ,
programme (Tolmin Museum) and (
- 1 December 2016 to 31 January 2017
An exhibition about the Javorca Memorial Church of the Holy Spirit by
programme (Tolmin Museum), at in ,
- 3 November to 27 November 2016
An exhibition about the Javorca Memorial Church of the Holy Spirit by Slovenian Culture and Information Centre, Vienna (SKICA), Embassy of the Republic of Slovenia Vienna, at in ,
programme (Tolmin Museum), supported by the
- 25 November to 24 December 2015
The exhibition Memories of the Isonzo Front, co-organised by the Embassy of the Republic of Slovenia Prague in cooperation with the Tolmin Museum, Milko Kos Historical Institute and the at in ,
- 1 July to 15 September 2011
With a Fibula into Fable exhibition organised by Koper Regional Museum, Sergej Mašera Maritime Museum, Goriška Museum, Tolmin Museum, Ptuj – Ormož Regional Museum, and Notranjska Museum, Postojna at in ,
The mansion was built in the 17th century by the wealthy and influential Coronini family from Gorizia, Italy. They owned the mansion until the Austro-Hungarian land reform in 1848, when Alois Silverius Kremer, knight of Auenrode, bought it together with the castle and buildings. In the following year he sold most of the property to local peasants and in 1871 the remains of the estate were bought by Johann von Permerstein and the knight Filippo Persoglia. Three years later they divided the mansion. The Permersteins owned the part of the building which is today the Dvorec Hotel, and the Persoglias owned the part which was confiscated in the 19th century by the court and is now occupied by the museum. Each change of owner was usually accompanied by rebuilding. The 1976 earthquake caused serious damage to the building and renovation began in 1993.
The museum covers the areas of archaeology, ethnology, general history and history of arts. Collections in the main building include: an archaeological exhibition of objects from the Hallstatt and Roman eras, including clay and stone urns, a tombstone and a fireplace; an art history exhibition which presents keystones from the 15th and 16th centuries, sculptures made by unknown woodcarvers and sculptors from the 16th to the 19th century, and oil paintings on canvas from the 18th and 19th centuries; and an ethnological exhibition comprising the great peasants' revolt in 1713, peasant home furnishings, utensils for making cheese and butter and other farming implements, and a variety of folk artefacts including painted chests, cradles, beehive panels, ornaments on butter models, frescoes on façades and Shrovetide masks, including typical masks from. the great peasants' revolt in 1713
In the museum you can also watch a selection of documentaries on recent history. This film from 1968 about a local inventor from Baška grapa byis one of them.
Dislocated museum units
In addition to the collections and exhibitions in the main building, Tolmin Museum also maintains several external collections and buildings, including the Archaeological Museum with the foundations of a Roman house at Most na Soči; the Birthplace of Simon Gregorčič, Vrsno; the homesteads of Ciril Kosmač in Slap ob Idrijci and at Krn; the ethnological collections at Trenta Lodge TNP Information Centre and Museum; the Wooden Granary in Pečine; the German Charnel House in Tolmin at the confluence of the Soča and Tolminka rivers made as memorial to German soldiers fallen in 12th offensive in World War One; the Church of St. Mary's Call in Ponikve, renovated by famous Slovene architect in 1956; and Jakovka's House at Podbrdo.
Up to five exhibitions are organised per year on contemporary art, archaeology, history, ethnology and various collections. Tolmin is historically very much connected with the Isonzo front and World War One, so many projects are in collaboration with the Kobarid Museum and the Goriška Museum, which together with Italian partners cover this important historical issue. In 2016 the 100th anniversary of the Memorial Church of the Holy Spirit in Javorca has been celebrated by the exhibition, based on the family archives of Remigius Geyling, its constructor. Each year the museum offers its public space also to the artworks and photographs made during the MetalDays Festival.
- Birthplace of Simon Gregorčič, Vrsno
- Ciril Kosmač Homestead
- Trenta Lodge TNP Information Centre and Museum
- Goriška Museum
- Kobarid Museum