Slovenia Partisan Printing Shop

From Culture.si

Jump to:navigation, search


Contact info
Partizanska tiskarna Slovenija
https://www.muzej-idrija-cerkno.si/lokacija/partizanska-tiskarna-slovenija/
tajnistvo@muzej-idrija-cerkno.si
Vojsko 64, SI-5280 Idrija
Phone386 (0) 5 372 6600
Fax386 (0) 5 377 3580
RegionSI-5
Managed byIdrija Municipal Museum






The Slovenia Partisan Printing Shop was built in a secluded forest hidden above the Kanomljica River Valley on the Vojsko plateau in the Idrija Region. One of the best preserved monuments of the Second World War, this printing shop was built in 1944. In operation until 1 May 1945, nearly 50 persons worked in the printing shop. During its operation, a total of 313 various issues were printed on 1274 pages and in 1,394,000 copies. The Slovenia Partisan Printing Shop was one of the first monument sites, together with the Franja Partisan Hospital, that the Idrija Municipal Museum set out to preserve when it was established in 1953. Visitors had already begun visiting the printing shop right after WWII in 1947, because it was significant symbol of resistance in the national liberation struggle.

Printed material

Printed propaganda of the partisan press played an important role in the resistance against the German occupation forces. The need for Slovenian written language was all the greater due to many years of Italian fascist pressures in Idrija and the surrounding areas. Partizanski dnevnik [Partisan's Daily] was the only daily newspaper in occupied Europe printed by a resistance organisation. It was published regularly until the end of the war in a daily edition of 4000 to 7000 copies. All together some 874,000 copies of the newspaper were distributed all around Slovenia via couriers who risked their lives.

Equipment and conspiracy

Supporters of the partisans bought an electric printing machine in Milan, dismantled it, and sent it secretly in parts to the Slovenia Partisan Printing Shop, in a chain of couriers so no connection between them could be established and nobody, except the last one in the chain, knew where the printing shop was. If by accident somebody came across the printing shop, the person had to remain there until the end of the war or be shot. Despite frequent armed struggles in the vicinity of the printing shop, the Germans never found it.

The complex has several cabins, an electrical power station, an engine room for printing, a kitchen, a canteen, a composing room, and a bookbindery. The printing machines can even still be operated.

See also

External Links

Facebook Twitter
Collections
Editorial
Lists
Opportunities
Resources
Nerd files
Feeling Wiki?
Tools