Otočec Castle

From Culture.si




Contact

This logo is missing!

If you have it, please email it to us.



Grad Otočec

Grajska cesta 2, SI-8222 Otočec

Phone

386 (0) 7 384 8900

Fax

386 (0) 7 384 8905

Managed by

Terme Čatež d.d.

Sintija Verstovšek, Director



Phone

386 (0) 7 384 8701







Otocec Castle 2013.jpgThe Otočec Castle with the Boat House, 2013.

Located on an island in the river Krka, seven kilometres east of Novo mesto, Otočec Castle was first mentioned in 1252 as a property of the Counts of Višnja gora. It changed hands many times over the subsequent centuries, but its present appearance was created during the Renaissance period when it became the property of Baron Ivan Lenkovič, general of the 'Vojna krajina' region. Minor alterations continued under subsequent owners, right down to World War II when it was burnt down by partisan forces. After the war the castle was renovated and converted into a hotel. In recent years it has been extensively refurbished and now functions as a five-star hotel hotel resort managed by Terme Čatež, Slovenia's largest health resort operator.

The castle and its immediate surroundings offer one of the most magnificent landscapes of Slovenia which was described by the writer Ivan Tavčar in his novels Janez Sonce and The Island and the Stream.



Architecture

The castle has rectangular fortress walls, including four circular-shaped towers for defence and a rebuilt central defence tower above the entrance to the inner courtyard. The castle chapel used to stand in the courtyard wing but was later moved to the western defence tower. The castle was declared a cultural monument of national importance by the Act of the Government of the Republic of Slovenia, Uradni list No 81/1999.

See also

External links

Gallery

... more about "Otočec Castle"
Grad Otočec +
Sintija Verstovšek +
+386 / 7 384 8905 +
45.838 +
Grad Otočec +
15.235 +
SI-8222 Otočec +
Director +
Grajska cesta 2 +
Located on an island in the river Krka, seven kilometres east of Novo mesto, Otočec Castle was first mentioned in 1252 as a property of the Counts of Višnja gora. +
Located on an island in the river Krka, seven kilometres east of Novo mesto, Otočec Castle was first mentioned in 1252 as a property of the Counts of Višnja gora. +
+386 / 7 384 8900 +
Otočec +
SI-8222 +
Has subobject"Has subobject" is a predefined property representing a container construct and is provided by Semantic MediaWiki.
EmailThis property is a special property in this wiki.