Pleterje Charterhouse Open Air Museum
|Muzej na prostem – Kartuzija Pleterje|
|Drča 1, SI-8310 Šentjernej|
|Phone||386 (0) 41 639 191, 386 (0) 7 308 1050|
|Pleterje Charterhouse Monastery|
|Simon Udvanc, Head|
The earliest attempt to present the Open Air Museum as buildings belonging to the region's architectural heritage in the forecourt of the Pleterje Carthusian Monastery was made in 1984. In that year the old Gothic church was renovated and opened to the general public. However, because of the increased numbers of visitors and also to preserve the monastery's peace and quiet, the Novo mesto Regional Office of the Institute for the Protection of Cultural Heritage of Slovenia and the Pleterje Monastery wanted to find a special location for a range of buildings which would represent a typical 19th-century farmhouse of the Šentjernej plain.
In 1990–1991 the Kegljevič farmhouse of 1833 was moved from the village of Ostroge to an area near the monastery. In 1992 it was joined by the Banič House from the village of Mihovo, part of which had to be reconstructed. In 1996 a double hay-rack with two pairs of windows was acquired, and in 1998 the Simoščev pigsty from the village of Javorovica was relocated to the site. The last building to be moved here was the Dobrovoljč pod, a wooden building used for threshing and as a hay-loft.