The Slovenian Museum of Natural History Library was established in 1921 as part of the Slovenian Museum of Natural History, although it originated in 1821 as part of the Provincial Museum of Carniola. It keeps natural sciences literature (geology, palaeontology, mineralogy, biology, botany, zoology, entomology, ornithology) and general literature of over 15,000 units. The library houses rare material from the 18th and 19th century. Newer entomological literature is kept at the Entomological Department and counts over 600 monographs. Since 1998 the library is a part of COBISS - Slovene Virtual Library.
House periodical publications
The periodical publication Scopolia is published twice a year with articles on botany, zoology, museology, geology, and palaeontology and sent out to institutions all over the world in exchange for their periodicals. The museum is also a co-publisher of the journal Acta entomologica Slovenica, published since 1993. Illiesia, International Journal of Stonefly Research with co-publisher the Mississippi College is freely available on the Internet. All of the museum's periodical publications as well as exhibition catalogues are available at the library.