|Ljubljanska 54, SI-3320 Velenje|
|Phone||386 (0) 3 898 2630|
|Fax||386 (0) 3 898 2640|
|Managed by||Velenje Museum|
|Damijan Kljajič, Director|
The first documents mention the owners of Velenje Castle (Welen, vest Welen, Wöllan) as the Kunšper gentlemen in 1270. Their relatives, the Ptuj gentlemen bought the castle in 1322, but gave it away as dowry to the Liechtenstein family. The Counts of Celje conquered the castle for a while at the end of the 14th century, but had to return it after the decree of Duke Albert of Habsburg in 1393. The Family Wagen von Wagensberg entirely renovated the construction in the 16th century and the fortress was transformed into a Renaissance residence. Until the beginning of the 17th century, the castle changed many owners, then the Sauer family remained as owners for almost 200 years. In the 19th century it was bought by Karl and Bianca Adamovich. The last owner of the castle, Count Coronnini-Kromberg used it only as a summer residence until 1943 when the Germans drove him out of Velenje after the Italian capitulation.
After the Second World War the castle was nationalised. Social apartments were made there, a lot of furniture was demolished and the building would have fallen into ruins if the Velenje Coalmine had not founded the Museum of Slovene Coalmines there in 1957. The first collections were gradually organised and at the same time an intensive renovation of the building was carried out. Today Velenje Castle is one of the best preserved castles in Slovenia.
- Pictures of Velenje Castle on kraji.eu website
- Velenje Castle on Velenje Museum website
- VR Panoramas of Velenje castle on Virtual Guide to Slovene Museums and Galleries