The Koper Music School today comprises a community of performers, composers, and educators at its headquarters in Koper and two subsidiary schools in Piran and Izola. Its roots can be traced back to 1948 when the oldest music school in the Slovene coastal region was founded in Portorož. In 1951 it relocated to Koper and in 1955 to its current premises at the Gravisi-Barbabianca Palace, which underwent renovation in 1984. In 1967 music schools in Koper, Piran, and Izola were consolidated into the Centre for Music Education, which was in 2003 reorganised as the Koper Music School.
With the founding of the Koper Secondary Art School in 1999 within the Koper Grammar School - Ginnasio Capodistria, the Koper Music School began provided music education for secondary school students. Students take part in regional and national musical competitions, such as the Slovene Young Musicians Competition.