|About · Contact · Help · Desk · ⚙ · 3,553 articles||Contents · A–Ž index|
This logo is missing!
If you have it, please email it to us.
Sokolski dom was established in 1922 by the Sokol gymnastic club and served as a sports hall until 1981. In 1999, it reopened its doors and was used as a provisional performing arts venue, enthusiastically maintained by the Lubnik Choir. The Municipality of Škofja Loka has renovated the centre in 2009 with the funds obtained from EEA Norway Grants (Lively Old Town project) and the European Fund for Regional Development. The centre now plays an important role in local culture and also shelters many non-formal and non-professional artist groups and associations.
In the centre, there are two halls, a large gallery space and also a terrace garden which is mostly used for receptions. The large Crystal Hall can host up to 210 visitors and is mainly used for concerts and conferences while the Small Hall has 40 seats and is suitable for more intimate events and lectures.
The main gallery activities started in 2002 due to the lack of suitable exhibition spaces in Škofja Loka although the first exhibitions date back to 1998. The gallery hosted many Slovenian photography and fine arts exhibitions as well as exhibitions from amateur artists, either individually or as part of local associations and groups.
The gallery programme in the main exhibition space kicked off with illustrations by Zvonko Čoh, followed by paintings by Jurij Kalan. The 20th anniversary of the death of Ive Šubic (1922–1989), a Partisan, local painter, graphic artist and illustrator was commemorated with an exhibition of rarely-seen selected drawings.
In December 2008, on the occasion of the 40th anniversary of the twinning between the medieval towns Medicina and Škofja Loka an exhibition of artworks by Professor Luiga Samoggi and photographer Tomaž Lundra was organised and one year later, commemorating the 10th anniversary of the twinning between the municipalities of Škofja Loka and Maasmechelen, they hosted an exhibition by the Makk Art Society of Maasmechelen.