The first coal miners' brass band in Trbovlje was founded between 1867 and 1870. After 1872, when a Vienna banking corporation bought the coal pits in Trbovlje and founded the Trbovlje Mining Company, the band began playing at many different public events and miners' demonstrations, participating in numerous national competitions in the former Yugoslavia and winning many prizes. During the 1930s the band made numerous recordings for radio and after the Second World War it began touring abroad and making records; its first record was released in 1968. In 1974 the band reached its peak at the world competition of brass orchestras in the Netherlands where they won first prize and the gold medal in the highest competition class. Down to 1945 its musicians were mainly miners and other employees of the Trbovlje Coal Mine, but today the 100 members of the Trbovlje Workers' Brass Orchestra comprise mainly elementary and secondary school pupils, students, workers and professional musicians.
The Orchestra's repertoire is both demanding and complex. It became national champion at Slovene competitions of brass orchestras held in 1995 (Maribor), 2000 (Krško) and 2003 (Trbovlje), and also won prizes in the prestigious concert division of the World Music Contest (WMC) in Kerkrade, Netherlands in 1993 and again in 2001. During the latter event the Orchestra performed demanding compositions by A Comitas, G Rossini, P Hindemith and R Golob. The band has also received a number of different awards, including the 1 June Award of the Trbovlje community, the Gallus Award of the Gallus Foundation and the prestigious Prešeren Award.