Slovene Geographical Museum
|Zemljepisni muzej Slovenije|
|Gosposka 13, SI-1000 Ljubljana|
|Phone||386 (0) 1 470 6358|
|Fax||386 (0) 1 425 7793|
|Managed by||Anton Melik Geographical Institute|
|Primož Gašperič, Head|
The Museum's cartographic collection dates from the 16th century and encompasses maps for different purposes and at different scales; besides general purpose maps it also holds different thematic and topographic maps as well as school wall maps and atlases. A great deal of the material is connected with Slovene territory and the neighbouring countries. Important holdings include the first edition of Valvasor's Die Ehre des Hertzogthums Crain (Glory of the Duchy of Carniola), a Münster edition of Ptolemy's Geography, and a Florjančič map of Carniola dating from 1744.
The pictorial collection comprises postcards and photographs of Slovene settlements, as well as a limited number of copperplate printings and lithographs. The statistical data collection includes archival statistical material connected with Slovenia, and the 'progress in geography' collection includes documents showing the development of the geographical profession and activities of professional organisations, in particular the Geographical Society of Slovenia.
The Museum includes a library of 2,150 items, which includes professional literature on geography and related areas as well as various older periodicals. Access may be granted for study purposes to individuals and institutions.
The Museum has organised several exhibitions, on subjects ranging from historical cartographic material and modern cartographic images of Slovenia to the life and work of academicianand the Geographical Society of Slovenia. These and other exhibitions have played an active role at geographical gatherings and other professional meetings.