Underwater cultural heritage
The pioneer underwater research of its treasures by the then Provincial Museum of Carniola dates back to 1884.
One of the most notable finds is the 40,000-year-old point made out of yew wood. It puts the Ljubljanica among the few European sites where the remains of worked wood dating from the Early Stone Age have been found. Its copy is presented in the Ljubljanica River Exhibition in Vrhnika. The venue is part of the complex Ljubljanica Exhibition and Discovery Site project (2014–2016), led by Irena Šinkovec, archaeologist and curator at the Museum and Galleries of Ljubljana, who won the UNESCO Award for Best Practice in Underwater Cultural Heritage in 2019. The archaeologist Andrej Gaspari (Department of Archaeology, University of Ljubljana), who laid the foundations of advanced underwater archaeology in Slovenia, has served as a member of the UNESCO Convention's Scientific and Technical Advisory Board, and is a member of the International Committee on the Underwater Cultural Heritage.
Some of the underwater findings from the Slovene part of the gulfs of Piran and Trieste in the Adriatic Sea, however, have also been included in the collections of the Sergej Mašera Maritime Museum in Piran, which has carried out extensive research into Slovene maritime history and archaeology since the 1960s. Several underwater building sites have remained in situ. Also in Piran, we can find the Museum of Underwater Activities.
- Submerged Past – archaeology of the aquatic environments and underwater cultural heritage exploring in Slovenia, a publication edited by Andrej Gaspari and Miran Erič (2012, pdf)
- The Ljubljanica River Phenomenon on the UNESCO website
Articles in category "Underwater cultural heritage"
The following 14 pages are in this category, out of 14 total.
Media in category "Underwater cultural heritage"
The following 4 files are in this category, out of 4 total.
- Ljubljanica River Exhibition 2016 The Potocnik family collection items Photo Jaka Babnik.jpg 7,216 × 5,412; 4.69 MB
- Sergej Masera Maritime Museum Piran 2020 Between sea and land Photo Kaja Brezocnik (1).jpg 2,048 × 1,365; 1.22 MB
- Sergej Masera Maritime Museum Piran 2020 Between sea and land Photo Kaja Brezocnik (2).jpg 2,048 × 1,365; 1.31 MB