|About · Contact · Help · Desk · ⚙ · 3,546 articles||Contents · A–Ž index|
The beginnings of establishing the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science date to 1959. In this year, the Technical School was founded on the initiative of Maribor's economic organisations and technical associations. The two-year school developed into four-year Technical School in 1973. In the year 1985 the Technical School was reorganised into the Faculty of Technical Sciences. Nine years later, in 1994, the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science was re-organised and renamed the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science.
Today, the faculty represents one of the major research centres in the country. It houses 8 research institutes and academic centres: Institute of Automation, Institute of Electronics and Telecommunications, Institute of Power Engineering, Institute of Robotics, Institute of Computer Science, Institute of Informatics, Institute of Media Communications, and Institute of Mathematics and Physics.
The faculty has a vast network of national and international universities for student, academic and intellectual exchange. The Erasmus exchange programme for students has signed bilateral agreements with universities from 21 countries in the EU.
Launched in 2002–2003, Media Communication offers students the chance to select in their fourth semester one of two different specialisations: media production or visual communication.
In the last decade Maribor has become affiliated with intermedia, new media, and computer-based arts also through hosting the International Festival of Computer Arts (IFCA).