Kamnik Intermunicipal Museum
|Medobčinski muzej Kamnik|
|Muzejska pot 3, SI-1241 Kamnik|
|Phone||386 (0) 1 831 7662, 386 (0) 1 831 7647|
|Fax||386 (0) 1 839 7447|
|Managed by||Municipality of Kamnik|
|Zora Torkar, Director|
|Saša Bučan, Communications|
|Phone||386 (0) 1 839 7504|
The region was under the administration of Kamnik town, whose influence reached up to Tuhinj Valley. Kamnik, first mentioned in 1061, has a long collecting tradition for first (private) collections were grounded already in 1893 by Josip Nikolaj Sadnikar (1863–1952).
The museum carries out a public service in the area from the Kamnik Alps to the Zasavje region for Kamnik, Domžale, Mengeš, Trzin, Lukovica, Komenda, and Moravče municipalities. The museum preserves, maintains and presents movable cultural heritage and collects archaeological, historical, ethnological, and art historical heritage in the region. Collections and exhibitions are prepared in cooperation with local communities, associations and individuals. It maintains extensive documentation and library, organises lectures, workshops, guided tours, and publishes different monographies and exhibition catalogues.
In 1964 the museum purchased part of the private collection of Josip Nikolaj Sadnikar (1863–1952), which had been exhibited in the town from the end of the 19th century, comprising antiques, sacred art, paintings by Slovene artists who studied in Vienna in the late 19th century, and Chinese and Japanese art.
In addition, the museum houses a castle salon, renovated in 1997, containing several important Baroque and historical paintings from the end of 19th century. It is used as multipurpose room for meetings, press conferences and lectures.
The collection of the so-called Thonet bentwood furniture (the only one in Slovenia) displays many objects from the nearby chair factory in Duplica near Kamnik, manufacturer of this furniture since the start of the 20th century.
There is also an exhibition on the history of the middle classes of Kamnik in the 19th century with portraits of the bourgeois family life and of the town of Kamnik during that period.
During the 1970s an open-air museum was arranged in the castle forecourt, presenting the architectural heritage of the area which has now become nearly extinct. Four characteristic granaries from the Tuhinj Valley have been set up here, dating from the 18th and 19th centuries. The oldest one from 1793 also exhibits its entire former inventory.
In the early 1980s a lapidary collection was arranged in the arcades of the castle's side wing, including selected stones from the archaeological and art history heritage of the region, i.e., tombstone of nobleman Wiederkehr. Lapidarium was renovated in 2003.
In 1979, on the occasion of the 750th anniversary of the first reference to the burgers of Kamnik, the museum opened a gallery dedicated to local painter and graphic artist (1903–1987).
Since 2007 the museum enriched the collections with 486 items of the pastoral heritage from Velika planina, collected by(1913–2006), the architect of Velika planina, in an exhibition of significant value.
In 2013 Rudolf Maister Birthplace was opened in a renovated 19th Century house at Šutna 23 in Kamnik as a branch museum of the Kamnik Intermunicipal Museum. Slovene general, patriot, poet and bibliophile Rudolf Maister was born in 1874 in Kamnik. He played a crucial role in Styria and Carinthia after the World War One: in November 1918 Maister organised local volunteers to liberate the city of Maribor in time when the northern border of the State of Slovenes, Croats and Serbs was outlined. The exhibition features photographs from family albums, military portraits and personal documents, honorary awards, diplomas and medals as well as screenings of numerous documentaries and art films related to Rudolf Maister. A special section presents Maister's personal library and his literary creativity (the poem collections Poezije and Kitica modish).
Temporary and touring exhibitions
On the second floor of the museum temporary exhibitions find place. In 2004 the exhibition General Rudolf Maister and the City of Kamnik was set up. In 2013 the exhibition prepared by the Slovene School Museum is on view in Kamnik. What should I wear for school? presents dressing, hair-stye and manners teachers and students through time.
Two exhibitions were conceived as touring exhibitions: Treasures of the Gorenjska region was prepared by six museums from the Gorenjska region that put the most distinctive objects from their collections on view. The Fossils from Kamnik and its surroundings, the exhibition prepared by the Kamnik museum archeology curator in cooperation, showed impressive fossils from the territory of Tunjice hills, the work and life of , a pioneer of Slovene geology and the work of children who participated in the geology primary school club.
- Zaprice Castle
- Miha Maleš Collection Gallery
- Josip Nikolaj Sadnikar Collection, Kamnik
- Municipality of Kamnik