Museum of the Posavje Region, Brežice
|Posavski muzej Brežice|
|Grad Brežice, Cesta prvih borcev 1, SI-8250 Brežice|
|Phone||386 (0) 7 466 0517, 386 (0) 31 708 737|
|Fax||386 (0) 7 466 0516|
|Founded by||Municipality of Brežice|
|Alenka Černelič Krošelj, Acting Director|
|Phone||386 (0) 7 466 0502, 386 (0) 31 342 252|
Not only is the Museum of the Posavje Region remarkable for its collections, it is remarkable for its location in Brežice Castle. The castle was fortified as part of the military frontier against the invasion of the Turks (16th century) in the Renaissance style and has rich Baroque architectural elements and decorations. The Knight's Hall from the 18th century displays the largest fresco painted hall with a secular narrative in Slovenia. It is believed to be painted by Frančišek Karl Remb, courtly painter of the Attems family which were the wealthiest nobles in the 18th century and possessed almost all the major castles and palaces in Styria and Lower Savinjska Region (Podčetrtek, Štatenberg, Dornava pri Ptuju ...).
The Museum of the Posavje Region is divided into several exhibition sections:
- the archaeological exhibition presents the cultural heritage of Posavje from the end of the Stone Age to the settlement of ancestors and the shaping of feudal society in the Early Middle Ages;
- the ethnological exhibition presents the life and creative activities of the domestic population in the 19th and 20th centuries (agriculture, stock-breeding, furnishing homes, forging, wickerwork, honey pastry, pottery, spinning, weaving, and viticulture);
- the medieval collection with arms, armours, and cannons from 16th and 17th century, when Brežice Castle was one of the important strongholds against the invasions of the Turks.
- the Puntarji exhibition presents the Slovene peasants' revolt in 1515 and big Slovene - Croatian revolt in 1573 its leaders (Matija Gubec, Ilija Gregorič) reasons, plans, and consequences. At the same time the Reformation had big impact on Slovene language and national awareness, Reformation displays, include also a precious Dalmatin Bible (the first complete Bible translation from German into Slovenian, by ) dating from 1584;
- the musical instrument collection features a square piano made in Ulm around 1770;
- the contemporary history collection presents the events of the late 19th to mid-20th centuries in Posavje, the bourgeoisie, and city lifestyle, with part of the exhibition named Meščan (City Dweller). An Exile Memorial Room is dedicated to the Slovene deportees during World War II;
- the art history collection features Baroque paintings, sculptures, and arts and crafts products. The illusionistic frescoes of the castle interiors are definitely one of the best examples of what the rich Maecenas such as the Attems family could afford in the 18th century, painters working in Brežice Castle covered all major secular and church orders in the region of nowadays Slovenia, north Croatia, and Austrian Styria and those were: , , , and . The permanent exhibition presents a Baroque winter sleigh that supposedly belonged to Austrian Empress Maria Theresa;
- the Stiplovšek Memorial Room honours the memory of painter and graphic artist (1898–1963), presenting a collection of his expressionist woodcuts from the 1920s, genre paintings, portraits, landscapes, and still-life paintings.
The Museum of the Posavje Region also organises temporary exhibitions in collaboration with four other museums in the neighbouring regions, the Bela krajina Museum, Metlika, the Dolenjska Museum Novo mesto, the Božidar Jakac Gallery, Kostanjevica na Krki, and the Kočevje Regional Museum that are exchanged among the institutions. Recent exhibition from past years include Landscapes from the Museums Depos, Independence War for Slovenia. The museum encourages collaboration with other museum institutions or individuals and presents and promotes various museum topics and art exhibitions for instance of sculptor .
- Brežice Castle
- Seviqc Brežice Festival
- Bela krajina Museum, Metlika
- Dolenjska Museum Novo mesto
- Božidar Jakac Art Museum, Kostanjevica na Krki
- Kočevje Regional Museum
- [www.pmb.si The Museum of the Posavje Region, Brežice website] (in Slovenian)
- Museum of the Posavje Region and its collections on kraji.eu website
- Brežice Municipality
- Castle Brežice on Slovene Wikipedija (in Slovenian)
- Castle Brežice and museum VR panorama on Burger.si[[Category:Venues]