The Jesuits came to Ljubljana in 1597 and started to build a school using funds from the Pleterje Carthusians and St. Jakob Church. The school was opened in 1602 with around 700 pupils, and from the early 18th century it hosted several local intellectuals and its curriculum included some university lectures (philosophy, theology). With the suppression of the Jesuit order by Pope Clement XIV in 1773 (the order was restored in 1814), the school system in Ljubljana came under Austro-Hungarian control. The school was abolished and soon thereafter the building was destroyed by fire. Subsequently 673 books were transferred to the Ljubljana State School, where they became the base for the future collection of the National and University Library (NUK).
Today the Jesuit Archives consist mainly of birth, death, and marriage records. The older documents are preserved at the Archives of the Republic of Slovenia or at the National and University Library (NUK).