Frančiškanski arhivi in samostanska knjižnica Ljubljana
Prešernov trg 4, SI-1000 Ljubljana
386 (0) 1 242 9300, 386 (0) 1 242 9310
386 (0) 1 242 9313
Stane Zore, Head
The Franciscan Order came to Ljubljana in 1233. A church featuring Roman Baroque architecture was built in 1646 and a monastery was established in 1647. The interior of the church – notably Francesco Robba's altar and the frescoes by Matej Sternen – is of major significance. After the closure of the monastery by Joseph II in 1784 the monastery buildings became a grammar school until 1903, when they were pulled down.
Since the monastery archives were not preserved, today's archival materials are of a recent date, comprising mostly birth, death, and marriage records; older documents are preserved at the Archives of the Republic of Slovenia. However, the rich library contains 70,000 items, including 30,000 items which are more than 200 years old. Only a few items are listed in the COBISS programme as the institution's classification system has not yet been digitised.